When in Greece.....Eat ice cream for breakfast 7/13/10




I thought, given the fact that I have been labeled the picky one when it comes to food, that it would be fitting for me to write a little section on the Greek cuisine I’ve encountered so far, and my initial thoughts. Let me first tell you my blogging location- It’s a harbor side café…..not really a shocker to anyone who knows the general Hania scene. Hania is actually a larger city in Crete, but “old town” is something straight from a movie. It has a huge Venetian influence which is so evident in the narrow stone streets (perfect for exploring and picture taking), quaint side shops, and a sea side harbor with fishermen, boats, and of course an abundance of café’s with the most incredible views, soft chairs and couches…..you could hang out at one of these cafes probably for the whole day just people watching. There is such a laid back feel here. No one hurries, no one rushes, it’s like someone hit a slow motion button…I love it. In fact on my first run here, I felt a little awkward, moving faster then anyone….almost going against the Hania style. Even though the location is geared towards accommodating the tourist, I have never felt like I’m in a tourist location- mostly because everyone here whether on vacation or not, is from a different country. Don’t get the wrong impression. I would still say Hania is the real deal- authentically Greek- Not lacking in the Greek language, the gorgeous Greek people :) and yes, the Greek food…..how’s that for a segway ?

Here are some things we’ve noticed. First, we’ve learned that the Greeks aren’t really big breakfast people. Their biggest meal is lunch and they usually wait to have dinner- usually not until 9 or 10. We’re not really big on following that tradition exactly. We do the breakfast thing. I’ve had a strawberry crepe two times already…..oh so good. The best thing though is the fact that people here are ok with having deserty things for breakfast. For instance, Susan’s breakfast the first day was fruit…with ice cream, and the second day, a waffle with chocolate, Nutella, and ice cream. Both items straight off the menu. Wow, my kind of place! You should also know that I am currently drinking coffee….Yep, you heard me right…..It’s called a Frappe. It’s a cold drink and yes it really does taste like coffee. Do I like it? Honestly? No, of course I don’t like it, it’s coffee for crying out loud…I can’t stand coffee….However, I’m making it my food challenge for the trip to have one a day. I really think I can learn to like it. (special note- I also wanted to try flossing my teeth everyday here too….last night my travel floss ran out…..oh well, what can you do J) Stay tuned for forced frappe drinking updates :).

Usually we forget about lunch- very un -Greek. I think we’re just been so distracted by how great our days are, that we just don’t think about it. Dinner has been a little random lately. Mostly peanut butter sandwiches for me, eggs for Jessica, fruit for all- The fruit here is really tasty, especially the peaches in my opinion. We visited the grocery store last night to pick up a few things….that experience was a little interesting. I have to admit I was a kind of grouchy- it was late, and I was really hungry and tired, a bad combination. Any other time, I think I really would have loved looking at all the unique, unreadable packaging, and just enjoying being apart of a normal everyday Greek experience…but this time my focus was on finding pancake mix……they don’t have that. And FYI you’re suppose to weigh your fruit before you get to the checkout…that was a very time consuming mistake. Luckily for me this sweet Greek guy noticed me very confused staring at the scale. Without saying a word he came to my rescue and hit all the buttons for me.
We have had a lot of Greek food. Most of the time I make Jessica order it first, and then I just try hers…she’s a pretty good sharer.

I had a Greek salad the other day…..really good. There’s no lettuce in it, which I think is different than in the states, and the feta which I purposely avoided, is placed on top of the salad in really big blocks. Feta is something I’ve always said I don’t like, but have never really given a fair shot…..maybe I’ll give it a chance here in Greece. I ate something called souvlakia (really just chicken) and tried some of Susan’s Moussaka and Jessica’s Yogurt and honey thing, which I think is really crème cheese ….not sure if I will be ordering any of those things myself, but I am trying stuff, so that should count for something. They do have multi grain cheerios….score.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, on our first day here- we were looking for our studio, a supposedly easy task that turned into a three hour combination of both driving and walking. We asked directions from a lot of locals (when I say a lot I mean like 10 or so) who either stared at us blankly or attempted to give us directions in Greek using a lot of expressive hand gestures. Our favorite helpful local happened to be this cute older man who owns a little bodega- which I thought was a lot like a small gas station that also sold local food. When giving directions he spoke English (rough English) and then whipped out some paper and wrote things down in Greek. The three of us exchanged looks and tried to hide our smiles…it was kind of hilarious. Another man jumped in on the direction giving fun and the two of them choreographed a little routine that went like this- “first you go straight, and then to the right and then your gonna take another right…straight, right, and then another right- complete with hand motions and thick accents. They did their little routine at least three times. It worked and we were able to find Iason Studios at last.

What does that have to do with food? Went off on a little tangent just to let you know that this charming Greek man and his Bodega has been a nice little food source for us. # one because he’s so nice, finding time to draw us maps (labeled in Greek) and give us his opinions on where to visit in Crete, and his views on the recent struggles of the country, and #2 because his stuff is so cheap. Nothing like food at a gas station in the states. Our first purchase was a total of 2,40E and that was for quite a lot of things. What a deal.

A final thought about the food and drink here in Greece. It seems customary to give alcohol as a welcoming gift. Our first rental car (which starts by using a card p.s.) was given to us complete with a bottle of white wine in the driver’s cup holder, and when we arrived at our studio, sitting on our table was a tray with fruit, nuts, chocolate, and this glass tea cup filled with an unknown drink that was so strong I think I may have permanently burned my esophagus….I like it :)…..Opah!
3 Responses
  1. JR Rozko Says:

    Sarah, I am loving these updates and crazy jealous of all that you are getting to see and do. Proud of you for risking the adventure.

    We got your card and gift certificate - thanks, thanks, thanks. You're so great. Miss you friend.


  2. Heather Says:

    You are in Greece eating PB & J and cheerios??? you're missing out I'm sure. Greek food sounds amazing. I like your frappe description from last blog--out of a magazine :).


  3. Anonymous Says:

    So I am assuming that drinking and driving is legal in Greece? (Or at least it's okay to carry an unconcealed drink of choice in the cupholder? Amazing updates...love, love, love them all. LOVE you all!! Oh yes, anytime you see "anonymous", it will probably be me--Mom Pacula. I'll always sign off in case I have an "anonymous" evil twin somewhere.


Post a Comment