Adventure Run 6/25/09






Ok, I put adventure in the title, but I'd say that's a pretty strong word to describe my first real run in Kauai- However, it was a bit memorable...and I think just saying the word adventure in my posts, makes me sound tougher :) Ok, so I set off around 11:00- that alone screams stupid tourist...who runs in the heat of the day?? But I had gotten a slow start (was trying to figure out dumb internet pictures stuff- FYI- you have to pay to use flicker- Yea, and I'm too cheap to buy more memory space, so no more pics on the slide show...sorry mom) Anyways, I had just missed passing Bond on his bike...bummer, but I set off down the rode, listening to...I feel like I want to lie here...but what the heck..."Ace of Base" Seriously it's great workout music...don't judge me....The temp was actually quite nice and I felt good, but then I ran into a problem....the one rode around the island is kind of narrow...with no edges, so every time a car would come, I'd have to either get to the other side, jump into the brush/ditch, or try to make myself as skinny as possible, and pray that the tourists didn't run me over with their rental cars. It was quite interesting, especially on the hills with the switch backs- fearing for your life really helps to rev up your runs- I ran the curves of the hills like a pro :). The one lane bridges also added to the fun...although I must say...most of the cars were very polite to me.

After a bit, I decided that I wanted to turn around...I was close to a beach, so I thought I'd try running a new way home. I started through the sand.....That was not easy...the sand here is not like HH...you sink completely in. It's at this moment that I should have turned back....Smart Sarah would have turned back....but silly explorer Sarah had something else in mind. Next to the beach, along the coast were these giant lava rocks...built up sort of like a cliff. This guy was on top of it, so I thought I should try climbing it too (it wasn't high mom, don't freak out). I took off my shoes, and went through some ocean to get there, and then started to climb...no problem...except that it just kept going...all of these rocks...and I just couldn't stop hopping through them...just when I thought I should turn back, I'd think, "oh, you can make it to that other side" and I'd keep going. Pretty soon, I was way too far out to turn back....it would be faster just to swim back at this point. Anyways, I finally made it through the rocks...seeing some very interesting sea life I might add. I started to run along the beach to where I could see the rode. I took off, only to have two dogs (boxers I think) chase me back to the rocks. Well, they didn't actually chase me. They were sleeping in this little beach hut made out of sticks ( I assumed they were rich boxers) They got mad when I got close and started barking and did run my way, but luckily the water stopped them. So, I had to hike up the side of the cliff to get back to the rode (it was easier than I thought it would be)..oh, and I did see an truck in the trees, just like in the tv show LOST- apparently someone missed the sharp curve- I thought against taking a closer look- one, for fear of it falling on me, and 2 for fear I may actually see something I didn't want to see.....I do have some sense, incase you doubted me, after reading this. So, all in all it was a pretty eventful run....and a lot longer than I expected. I was glad for the detour. I'll take running along a Hawaiian coast of rocks over stark county running any day- maybe minus the mean dogs.


The rest of the day was spent laying out at Hanalei beach- very nice and sandy....very calm. We also did some shopping. The little shops in Hanalei are so cute and unique- I got my first souvenir- a rock...shocking I know...it's a piece of pumice rock carved into a Hawaiian flower.

I tried to see the sunset with Jess and Leisyl...but we just missed it- we walked along the beach instead,and admired the moon. Later we watched a movie.

Tomorrow morning we're going to hike the first few miles of the Napali Coast!

Oh, the pics I put with this, actually are from the canyon hike yesterday.
Back home
2 Responses
  1. Heather Says:

    good post. i'm so proud of you keeping up with this blogging thing. I was telling Ryan that it's so much fun to read about everything almost daily b/c when you get back there is no way you would take the time to give me all of these great details! Sounds like you're having a blast. Miss all of you of course.


  2. Erin A Says:

    Ha! I love reading your posts and wish that you would go on about pineapples actually because i bet they are yummy. Let me know how the napali coast outing is. I hope you get to see lots of dolphins. We did the helicopter tour and from your pictures your view was just as great!

    of your mention of running in start county, i had a flash back to running with you and cone. mind you, i say i run but i really jog, slowly. you run. i doubt it sticks in your head as much as it did mine and cone's. so happy running!!


Post a Comment