Jungle with a flat screen- 6/21/09





Wow, what a difference a couple of hours can make! I woke up in my hotel room in Waikiki, and went for a run with my roomies. We passed all of the trendy storefronts, all of the trendy people, and some of the most lavish hotels I've seen. Everything was busy and pretty. I was in the heart of a very touristy, very beautiful resorty area....5 hours later, we touched down in kauai. It's like going back in time. Everything is old and quaint, and the setting is something right from one of my favorite shows, LOST. Beautiful flowers, lush green tropical plants, with a gorgeous mountain backdrop. We all crammed into our little Mazda, after making a quick stop at Wal-mart for groceries (last piece of civilization- wish it was a target :)) and then headed for our house. We took the one rode around the island, north about 1 hour and arrived at Hale Manoa (check out the web link on the sign). I felt like a kid again at Christmas. We got into our house and all started jumping around and screaming...it's so fantastic. All hardwood floors, open floor plan with a great couch, bar counter with high stools, big porch with amazing view, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, outdoor shower (if I get brave) and an indoor shower, flat screen TV, wireless....This place is great! We met our neighbors....locals who were out in the backyard feeding the wild horses....that's right we have horses! Oh, and the best breeze comes through the house (no ac, just fans), it's the perfect temperature.

It was nice to unpack all of my stuff, and to just have an evening of hanging out, eating twizzlers and fruit loops while watching Friends. It doesn't get much better than that. The night was a little rough though- lots of weird noises....not good for my sleep issues :) Did I mention we have roosters? Oh that's right...they like to yell in the evening, and also at 4:00 in the morning...kind of funny, also sort of annoying. I figure if that's the worst thing, life is pretty good.....plus, I have plenty of time to sleep on the beach....we're less than a mile from famous Tunnels beach.

I love how this place is so naturally beautiful, plus so perfect for the adventurist. I'm excited to brave the big waves today, and explore all of the awesome hiking trails. I'm thinking the prissy cute white beach cover-up from Honolulu is going to need to stay at home. I'm looking forward to just throwing on shorts, a t-shirt, and a doo rag.....need to fit in with the cool locals ya know cuz? (that's how hawaiian surfers talk :))

Oh- Jay just set me up with a picture slide show- so you can see some pictures from the outside luau and the view from our house- I'll try to get better at taking pics...it's not really my expertise- oh, and I set up a flickr account too, so once I figure it out, you can see it :)

Happy Anniversary to Heather and Ryan!
2 Responses
  1. Heather Says:

    love the dresses girls. where did you get them? I need a couple for mexico. love the updates.


  2. Yah blogging and Hawaii!!! Glad to see you got there safe and sound and in first class, how fun. Keep the updates coming.


Post a Comment