Such the tourist- 6/20/09

I love going on trips and people watching, it's the funniest thing. I especially like spotting the tourists....you know, those people in the hawaiian shirts, completely sunburned, with the fanny pack on, and the camera around the neck, not to mention the wide eyed bambi look as they cross streets in the vacation city, totally oblivious to the giant tour buses trying desperately not to hit them........wait a second....that's me....I'm the idiot with the silly grin, looking at the amazing Pacific Ocean off Waikiki beach for the first time, I'm the moron with the goofy giant ear phones on, listening to the audio tour at Pearl Harbor, and I'm the loser who likes to say "aloha" and "Maholo" every chance I get,and sing on the tour bus the "Hang Loose song" (see end of the blog for complete lyrics :)) even when not very many people are singing along with me....But you know what....I think I'm ok with it....I think you have more fun when your not always trying to be the "cool one." Now, don't get me wrong, I'm workin real hard not to have the tourist sunburn...I seriously wore spf 30 today...which I don't think I've ever done, oh....and of course in my head, I'm going to be the ultimate surfer chick, tearing it up on the north shore- not looking at all like a beginner (yeah right!) I suppose it's good to find the balance...you know, between complete dork, and, I'm a local....That's the plan anyway.

So quick 2 day summary for the record:

- Trip into Burlinggame California/San Fran
- Shopping at the thrift in Cal- buying dress for 4 dollars
- Riding trolly in San Fran
- Attempting to go to IN-N-OUT burger, and receiving advice from an entire bus full of people- quite humerous
- First Class trip to HNL
- Flew with Jess and new San Fran friend who later told us she smuggled in pot- real nice girl....seriously, ,very fun
- Managed to get to airport after long bus ride- Castle Resort quest Waikiki
- Spent day with Leisyl at Pearl Harbor- Went to the Arizona Memorial- glad I went
- Went to the beach- water is so blue and nice and warm- went for a walk
- Got ready for the Luau- Wore new thrift store dress
- Went to outside luau "Germain's Luau" right on the beach- sat on the ground- great food- yes I tried some very weird things- loved the pig...surprise, surprise - amazing entertainment- the guy ate fire for crying out loud!- How do they move their hips that way?...Looks like a good workout- awesome costumes....free drinks, fun driver who taught us this song:

Just hang loose
Just have fun
Sippin on drinks or laying in the sun
People try to stop me but it aint no use
Cause all those in Hawaii like to just hang loose (shawka!- you're suppose to say this as you raise your hand with the sign language Y symbol- I'll show you when I get back- It's totally Hawaiian baby! :) and it means to chill out- it's the Aloha Way

Tomorrow we're off to Kaui!- I'll post pictures when I figure out how.
2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Your updates are great. Funny and interesting. I will be looking for pictures. Oh - Cathy Mellinger sent me your blog site - in case you were wondering. Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures.

    Leslie


  2. Erin A Says:

    You always say how nothing cool and exciting happens to you!!! After reading your blog I am never letting you say that again.
    Erin


Post a Comment