A Different Kind of Paradise 7/24/09





It’s 2:00 in the morning and I can’t sleep, jet lag I suppose. I thought I might write one final blog about my Hawaii vacation. I could tell you about how the key to our rental car was dropped down an elevator shaft on the day we were leaving… it’s a funny one ( or at least funny now…not so much at the time :))…but maybe I should keep some stories to share with you in person….

It’s so strange to be back in Ohio….I really feel like I just left. I thought I would feel more ready to be back, but I honestly could have stayed another two weeks or so. I don’t want anyone to think that I didn’t miss all my friends and family, because I really did, but it’s just that this vacation was so wonderful. It was exactly what I wanted out of the trip. It was perfect. I spent five weeks doing all the things I love to do. I got to hike almost everyday, I snorkeled, swam, surfed, climbed, jumped (:)), rode, kayaked….basically did every sort of physical activity imaginable….and had fun doing it. I was challenged in a lot of ways, and experienced unexpected thrills and adventures that I will remember forever. Besides that, I also lived basically stress free for 35 days. The biggest decision I had to make was which beach we wanted to spend the day at, or which bathing suit I wanted to wear. I guess that would explain why I feel a little bit overwhelmed right now with “real life.” Starting with opening all my mail…oh yeah, and the visa statement came…..yikes! :)

It’s hard to pick a favorite experience, or even a favorite island (although I’m sort of leaning toward Kauai for that one). Each day seemed to be special, regardless of where I was, or what I was doing. Even the days we didn’t do much, were perfect, simply because of the unbelievable natural beauty that we were surrounded by. The company I kept wasn’t half bad either:). Six different people shared this experience with me, and I can tell you without a doubt, that I wouldn’t have had near the fun I did, without them. I am grateful that they chose to come to Hawaii.
I feel especially thankful for Jessica, who was able to put up with me for the entire five weeks…what a trooper :). I couldn’t have asked for a more amazing traveling partner.

So what now?? So what’s next?? I find myself asking these questions a lot. What do I do now that this experience, this vacation that I spent the last 7 months planning for and thinking about, is over? I suppose I could get real depressed and think about how let down and sad I am that my “fun” is over, or I could start thinking about my next “big thing”… start planning for something else, some other place to go, some other “adventure” to pursue… or I guess I could maybe take a look at option number three…the option that has me excited about “life as I know it”, life in Canton. I feel like Hawaii may have helped to ignite a little spark in me that I feel has been missing for a long time…maybe this was just the thing I needed to refuel my energy for “living”…you know, the day to day stuff. I want to look at my life as the adventure….I want to find satisfaction in the normalness and consistency of it all….I want to find joy in the everyday.

I arrived in Columbus on Friday evening, warmly welcomed at the airport by two of my best friends, and their beautiful smiling baby girls. I sat on their deck under their sun umbrella eating pizza and sharing stories.

I arrived in Wooster at 10:30 pm. I opened the door to the car and immediately heard two little munchkins screaming my name. I couldn’t get out of the car fast enough. I walked around the car and was ambushed with hugs and kisses from my adorable niece and nephew. My brother and sister in law were there too…staying up late just for me.

At 11:30 pm I sat at the kitchen table with my mom, showing her some pictures from my trip and rehashing all the details of each adventure.

At 11:45 pm my Grandpa called to make sure I was home safe, and to tell me how happy he was that I had such a good time.

12:00 The Fraziers arrived…Julie, Dave, Diana, Steve, and new baby Mya. We stayed up until 1:30 talking….they graciously asked all kinds of questions about my trip, and let me ramble on about my experiences…seeming genuinely interested.

11:30 am- I finally woke up…was given a big hug from my Grandma, who faithfully read my blog and emailed me several times during the trip

1:00pm- Went to pick up Mas- got more hugs, and “welcome homes”

2:00pm- Joe and Uncle Rob arrive- All commented on my tan, and said how happy they were to see me :)

3:30- Played lazer tag with my cousins and Uncle Dave ( a bunch of 25-30 year olds, with a 50 year old….completely destroying a bunch of middle schoolers with lazers…what fun)

5:00- Caris paints my nails with sparkles while JJ and I share skittles and honey nut Cheerios.

7:00 pm- All my relatives huddle in the small kitchen to sing happy birthday to my aunt, preceded by cupcake and ice cream eating.

12:10- Arrive at my home in Canton. Spend time talking with my wonderful roommates.

This is my joy.
This isn’t a vacation. This is my life. This is a good thing.

A man we met during our trip asked us where we were from…we said Ohio, and his response was, “Ohio huh?, that’s a different kind of paradise.”

I love that

What makes a “paradise”? Is it the place? Is it the scenic beauty of something? Is it an activity? Or is it really just a combination of all the things in this world that make you happy, that make you smile? These are things to hold onto, these are the things to get excited about. Hawaii was beautiful, Hawaii was wonderful, Hawaii was a tropical paradise, but I think true paradise, is what awaits your return.
0 Responses

Post a Comment