An Unexpected Sunday 7/5, 7/12/09







As I’m typing this entry, I’m sitting on what could be known as the best bed ever. The room is nice and dark, the fan is silently blowing the perfect amount of air and the bed is so soft….but not too soft…just right. (and apparently I’ve turned into Goldilocks :) ) The pillows aren’t the suffocating kind, but just the perfect amount of smooshiness, and it’s quiet…which I’m finding is somewhat of a rarity here in Hawaii…you know with all the roosters, birds, dump trucks (thanks Hale Maui)..etc. It’s been sort of hard to get good sleep lately, but last night was pretty great…minus the minor disturbance at 4am when I wanted to itch my legs off (did I mention I’m covered in mosquito bites (who’s dumb idea was it to sleep on a bug infested beach?? :). So I’m at a bed and breakfast in Kihea. It’s fantastic. The host Eva, just served us breakfast (these amazing strawberry filled pancakes) on her open air upper level deck. The house is beautiful, and Eva upgraded us to a suite with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room. It’s perfect. I went on a run this morning on the beach…well three beaches actually (they all sort of connect with these cute little trails, perfect for running). It is indeed a nice surprise to have such a nice Sunday morning. Jess and I might just hang out in this nice bed and watch a movie until our plane leaves at 4 this afternoon (the beauty of a 5 week vacation were finding is that you don’t have to rush…you can relax without feeling like you’re wasting time). I’m loving it.

Last Sunday was a bit unexpected as well, and I just didn’t have the chance to write about it until now. It was the day we left the Banana Bungalow. We checked into Hale Maui and decided to spend the evening on the Southwest coast, on what the natives call Big Beach (this was recommended to us by our friends from Kauai, Adrian and Tiffany, as well as the hostel). Big beach lived up to it’s name, it was pretty huge, but not crowded at all. Everyone seemed to be leaving. We did hear drumming in the distance so we followed the sound up and over this cliff to Little Beach next door. The sight was vastly different. As we descended the cliff we came onto a small beach filled with people…all kinds of people…old, young…some were swimming, some were just sitting around talking, and lots were dancing. Some dancers had hula hoops, others had scarves that they were waving… There was a circle of drummers carrying a steady rhythmic beat that you couldn’t help but want to move too. The backdrop to this “event” (which apparently goes on every Sunday) was the most gorgeous sunset…coloring the sky in hot pinks and purples….Then I saw a bare butt in the water… “what the heck??”….then I turned and saw boobs…then,…. “oh my, I’m not use to seeing that”…..Then it came back to me…Little Beach is clothing optional….for a brief second at had forgotten that small little detail, which made my first few minutes at this “circus” a little shocking to say the least. I needed to play it cool, but I just didn’t know quite where to look…I was a little out of my comfort zone to say the least. Slowly, I started to feel more comfortable though (not that comfortable mom….no I did not take off my top!). Jessica and I sat down on our towels, I’m sure looking just about as awkward as we felt. But listening to the music and watching the dancing started to seem less and less weird…it was strange, but as I watched these carefree dancers and drummers having such a wonderful time…obviously not really caring at all what others thought of them, or their nakedness, I couldn’t help but be the slightest bit envious of their self confidence, and freeness….there’s no way I would ever feel that open to dance around naked…why is that? I couldn’t help but think back to when God first created everything in the Garden, and what it was suppose to be like….no guilt, no shame, no inhibitions…kind of like these “hippies”…..We sure have fallen away from what God really intended for us it seems…not just about being naked, but what that represents ya know?

Anyways, we met a guy named Jason who was super nice to us he had a drum and let us play along which was really cool (I feel a new hobby coming on :)). As it turned dark the fire dancing began. Naked hula hooping with fire….now that’s some risky stuff. It was pretty impressive. Everyone sort of packed it up then and went home by 8:30…it was weird. All the people were really nice, helping people down over the cliff with flashlights…..What a night! It will definitely be an experience I will remember for a long time.

I did take a few pictures (meaning to get the drummers and the sunset…although I got a little more than that if you know what I mean….totally by accident (I blame Jason for coaxing me to get closer to get a better shot) I will post the clean stuff. :). I also will post a picture of the lava beach Jessica and I went to yesterday on the very southern tip of the island, and a picture of me eating sugar cane which we picked (which was not at all easy) from a field on the side of the road...it was pretty funny.

I’m off to the Big Island next to meet up with Beth and Barry. I’m looking forward to it. We have a lot of fun excursions planned. Maui has been great though…nothing to complain about….except maybe the speed of the trip. I could stay another 5 weeks.
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    Wow...what gorgeous pictures! Thanks, Sarah, for your discipline at blogging. I have enjoyed it (and also trembled at some of the entries!). Amazing stuff... Libby


Post a Comment