Journey to Green Sand Beach....Priceless 7/20/09






New Tires- 150 dollars
New Axle- 400 dollars
Replacement of dented door- 300 dollars
Visit to the chiropractor- 100 dollars
Driving off road to magnificent green sand beach….Priceless


I guess if I had to make up a discover card commercial about our most recent Hawaii experience it would go something like this….although luckily we weren’t in our rental car…rather a Volkswagon belonging to a crazy fun Mexican dad’s aunt (did you follow that?).

What was meant to be an easy trip to South Point (the southern most tip of the US) followed by a 2.5 mile trek to the green sand turned into an unexpected adventure (this line sounds a bit familiar :)).

We arrived at South Point around 4:00. The trip there was beautiful. Open fields, cows grazing, rustic fences, and then the big vast ocean in front, stretching out in every direction. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen the ocean in such a farm like setting before. It was kind of strange, but very beautiful. Oh, and I forgot to mention all the cliffs outstretched along the coast…the waves crashing up against them….It was all very “movie scene” like. The three of us were wearing our “going out” dresses, and decided to take some pictures. I deliberated on keeping my dress on for the hike to the green beach (my attempt at making every hike just a bit different), but then thought of how irritated I would be if anything happened to it, (knowing my “hike style” that was pretty likely). I opted for the traditional tank and shorts. I changed in the back of the car while Jessica and Beth mingled with some of the local fisherman and other tourists (they were hiking in style, leaving the dresses on). When I exited the car, I found them talking to a man and his daughter about going to see the green sand beach. They wanted to see this phenomenon too, and invited us to ride in their 4 wheel drive car. This is where I need to be honest and say I was initially a little annoyed at this change of plans. I wanted a hike, I didn’t want to drive to the beach like a sissy….what’s the fun in that? Besides, I wasn’t in the mood to chat it up with a tattooed Mexican and his 13 year old daughter. What can I say, I was a little pouty as I hopped into the car….I can only hope that my feelings weren’t obviously written all over my face. Turns out, choosing to ride instead of walk was probably one of the best decisions we’ve made (funny enough I didn’t make this decision…..maybe that’s what made it so wise?- I tend to do a lot of not so smart things- maybe you’ve read a few of my other blogs?? :))

We started to drive down the road, that wasn’t really a road, more like a motorcycle /BMX off road course, complete with huge ruts, rocks and hills. We had no idea where the beach was, we were just trying to keep the car from flipping over. Reuben was hilarious. He was so incredibly witty. He referred to our vehicle as the Ninga Car. The interaction between him and his daughter Lauren was so funny, very typical father daughter stuff….but super sweet. The car was making all kinds of not so good noises…the three of us girls in the back just kept exchanging worried/funny looks. At one point we gunned it up this rocky mountain, all the while scraping the crap out of the bottom of the car and nearly tipping. When we reached the top Reuben exclaimed, “We are so bad ass!” We all put our hands in the air and cheered. After a lot of “choose your own adventure” route picking, we finally made it to the cliff that was the supposed home of the green sand below (just a few minutes before the “Henderson family” named by Reuben, made it by foot…interesting). We now began the hike down to the sand….our expectations were high…far too high considering the black sand beach and the red sand beach I saw in Hawaii were all sort of let downs….for some reason I was picturing this emerald green sparkling beach……bummer. The beach was brown from afar….and brown up close. It did however look greenish when I put it in my hand…I can appreciate the science in the green olivine mineral composition, but seriously people after nearly dieing in “aunties SUV” I was kind of hoping for something a little better.

Reuben put things in perspective though. The man had a new outlook on life…after spending 6 years battling a disease, he was given 5 weeks to live. He underwent a liver transplant, and is now going to see his daughter graduate from high school. In his words, “colors look different now.” It was a pleasure meeting him, and being around someone with such an enthusiastic spirit for life. Regardless of the sands color, the journey to the beach had been worth it, and the surrounding beauty of the cliffs, golden fields, and sparkling blue water will remain in my memory for a long time.

The road back was a tad less precarious. We found a flatter route to the north, and then a real road leading back to where we were parked….something you think the Frommers guide, or the gypsy lady selling us water might have mentioned earlier!! :) We got back just in time to see a beautiful sun set and just in time for Lauren and Jessica to decide we were going to go cliff jumping…..Ahhhhhhh.
That’s a whole other blog entry.
0 Responses

Post a Comment