Ode to Babs,Battles,and Breadlove






Whenever I’m on vacation, and doing amazing things, I always find myself thinking of all my friends and family, and wishing they were experiencing the same things with me. This vacation is no different. I wish all of you could be here….and I so appreciate how gracious all of you have been in letting me share my experience with you whether through this blog, or on the phone, or through email….no one has shown any sign of real annoyance or jealousy…at least not to my face:) and I can’t say that I would be so kind…I would probably be like, “shut up already about your stupid trip…I hate the fact that you’re having all this fun, and I’m stuck in boring Ohio going to work…I hate all teachers” Ok, maybe I wouldn’t be saying that, but I might be thinking it….and you might be too but I can’t tell, so keep up the good work….you’re doing great! :)

Ok, so on to my title….Of course you’re all on my mind, but I have three guys in my life that I keep thinking would love it here…if not Kauai (which, lets face it…I can’t think of a single person who wouldn’t like this island), then of course North Country Farms.

First, my friend Adam- Babs would be like a kid in a candy shop here….He’s a Jack of all trades: engineer, chef, Mr. Fixit (especially my car and lawnmower), husband, father, and also a great gardener. He may even be at this moment turning my backyard into a vegetable paradise- or at least planting some tomatoes. Babs, this place has any vegetable you could want…..even weird stuff that I’ve never heard of before…Carrie, you could have salads everyday…fresh ( unfortunately for me, no iceburg :)) I actually have been picking stuff, and just eating it raw…tomatoes, beans, and even basil (kind of strange to just be chewing on a leaf, but hey….what the heck, it’s Hawaii…it just feels like the thing to do) Oh, and not just vegetables…there’s an orchard too. I’ve been picking oranges right off the trees and eating them, along with limes (for my Diet Coke), and bananas. There are avocado trees, and pineapples…yep, never saw a pineapple growing before…it really looks like a science fiction thing…very weird…they just look like they’ve spouted like little cabbage patch kids, to use Jess’s quote. Anyhow, Bab’s just thought you’d like to know….it’s a good time:).

Ryan Battles is my snorkel friend, he even gave me an in-pool lesson when I was visiting him and Heather in Columbus. It’s been nice to be able to tell him all about my fish-seeing experiences and to hear his genuine excitement for me. He didn’t even doubt me when I claimed to have found two new species (one which I have named the Jessica fish, because of it’s laid back swim (remind me to tell you more about this sometime). I think it would be so fun having him along to share in my snorkeling experiences because he knows so much, and really just loves it…..but not just fish….Ryan is also very knowledgeable about plants. He especially likes tropical plants, and could probably tell me the names of all the flowers I’ve been seeing…and Ryan, you would go nuts over the banana trees…with actual bananas growing and everything…..they have a banana grove here! (is that what you call it??- sounded right) I took some pictures for you. (Ryan just recently planted his own banana tree in his backyard). Ryan you would love this place- don’t worry Heath- you know you’re my first choice for all the adventure stuff- I pretty much think how much you would love it here daily, because of all the hiking and sporty stuff- just thought I would give your husband a shout out on this blog :).

Clay- I thought of you today- Clay is a great cook. He’s always trying new recipes.… most of which I’m too picky to enjoy…but I hear are fantastic…and always at least smell great :). Today Jess and I made dinner with our fresh veggies and some chicken we had around. I must say, Jess did most of the work, and just started throwing things together that might taste good, but I did cut up some stuff, and I got to GRILL!- You’re probably thinking “what do you mean you’ve never grilled”..well, let me tell you, when you grow up with a dad and brother, you’re not usually the first one they ask to flip the burgers for family supper, it’s kind of the same with mowing the lawn…which come to think of it, I really like doing now, and the same with the grilling….it’s kind of fun…and let’s face it not really that difficult, which is probably the second thing you were thinking. But I really liked adding the fresh squeezed oranges to the chicken while it was grilling…it made me feel chef-like. Now, the bad thing- I’m not sure if I cooked the chicken enough- it’s hard to keep the outside from burning while cooking the inside- As I write this, I’m feeling just a bit weird…keep your fingers crossed that I didn’t give Jess and I food poisoning…That would be a bit of a bummer. Oh, and Clay we went out for Sushi…which sounds like something creative and weird food wise that you would like- thought of you then too- I didn’t actually eat any of the sushi, but I think even just having it at the table should count for something…what do you think? It’s a step right? Who knows what kind of interesting stuff I may learn to like after my trip is over- oh, and I ate a strawberry guava on my hike today off the tree- I hated it of course, but let the record show that I tried it!
3 Responses
  1. Heather Says:

    so what did you eat at the sushi restaurant, Rice? great entry.


  2. Ryan Says:

    Love the pictures. You are correct, I do love identifying all of the pictures that you post. The flower is called Plumeria Cerise. I bet it smelled GREAT!!!!!

    -Ryan


  3. lets just say that during the summer when all of the home-grow bounty starts to come in, i have generally stuffed myself even before I can get it inside for lunch or dinner. its great that you guys are staying on a farm. nothing better than knowing where your food comes from. thanks for the shout out and continue with your adventures!!

    -babs


Post a Comment